Re: Optimal Initialization Parameters

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 07:27:39 +0100

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:41:32 -0800, "Jack Dawson" <srik_at_cnet.com> wrote:

>Isn't 160 MB no good? Oracle Docs say 128 MB is good enough!!!! I am talking
>about 8.1.6 database and not 9i

128 M is the bare minimum. They specify it just the way Microsoft does. In quite a few situations NT alone consumes 128 M. Your database will simply crawl. 256 Mb is nice with a SGA of about 40-60 M, however all applications nowadays need more (as most developers stopped thinking about optimal design). If I see a server with *only* 256 M, especially if it is used to run a webserver against it, I will always recommend to have memory at least doubled. Memory is not that expensive you know, or you must be still running a P133.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Jan 12 2002 - 00:27:39 CST