Re: Win 2000 / Oracle

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 07:33:05 +0100

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 23:52:35 -0500, "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote:

>Among the various answers was the information I needed. Thanks. I did
>oversimplify the case since I was interested in what to do with the member
>servers which are not getting their IP addresses dynamically - they're
>fixed. The DNS services are installed and running, as Chris said. As for
>Sybrand's reply, it's hard to know what to make of it. The Oracle databases
>on the PDC were installed under the (local) administrator account and run
>just fine with multi-master replication. Maybe he's had some bad
>experiences with replication.
>
>Van

You shouldn't have your CPU cycles running away by having Oracle run on a PDC. Processes contact the PDC, PDCs and BDCs are constantly synchronizing, etc. So you will simply won't have that server for 100 procent at your disposal. Also if you need to bring down the server for Oracle associated reasons, you will bring down the PDC. I think it is very strange not running Oracle from a PDC has to be justified. If you know NT and think a few secs about it, you know you shouldn't do this. But then again, you better shouldn't run NT.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Jan 12 2002 - 00:33:05 CST