Re: IDE versus SCSI

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:47:43 GMT

Keith Boulton doodled thusly:

>Fundamentally, there is no reason not to use IDE if you can live with having
>only four devices and it meets your performance requirements and that is
>(basically) depends only on the device throughput and the number of devices
>you have.

and there are quite a few SAN's and RAID disk farms that use IDE throughout!

>And before someone say SCSI is a lot faster - it might be a little faster,
>but who cares? Fast enough is fast enough!

exactly. SCSI may be faster in multiple disk drive/controller situations and assuming basic controllers. when we're talking RAID and SAN's with huge battery-backed caches, SCSI's advantage is out the window.

sorry, but it's a myth that needs some rattling. couldn't care less about SCSI if the disk farm does its job properly. and there are better options than SCSI for absolute speed anyways.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Jan 10 2002 - 03:47:43 CST