Re: IDE versus SCSI

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlunspam-world.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:44:59 -0000

"Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:1e8276d6.0201090007.6ca3e87d_at_posting.google.com...

> Oracle database on IDE ? Maybe some very small database, or perhaps
> some tiny test box.

Has no-one told you that size doesn't matter?

> I've never seen a productional database on disks with IDE interface.
Which has nothing to do with its feasability and everything to do with prejudice and the herd mentality.

> All of them are using not only SCSI, but also SCSI disks plugged in
> RAID array.
> Even using one RAID5 array for all datafiles is low-end solution for
> Oracle databases, so what's IDE HDDs ?

Amusing that people use SCSI for its better performance and then make it RAID5. Fundamentally, there is no reason not to use IDE if you can live with having only four devices and it meets your performance requirements and that is (basically) depends only on the device throughput and the number of devices you have.

And before someone say SCSI is a lot faster - it might be a little faster, but who cares? Fast enough is fast enough! Received on Thu Jan 10 2002 - 02:44:59 CST