Re: Any Hotsos experiences out there?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 12:07:03 GMT

Niall Litchfield doodled thusly:

>Good Oracle system performance analysis is a science, not an art."

well, i'd go as far as saying that

"good Oracle systems performance analysis starts with the design of its applications."

by far where I've had best and most impressive results. tuning the instance produces trivial results in comparison. no product can analyze any application and find design problems. a brain is needed for that.

>they get. That doesn't mean that there isn't a market for good tools that
>can help Oracle Professionals do their jobs better.

absolutely. I'd rather get a product that analyzes the v$ views correctly than one that doesn't. pisses me off when a product gives bogus warnings because it's simply not aware of other constraints. seen a few do that.

but I still would rather use an automatic monitor than having to tediously run scripts.

what I'd like is a product that I can configure (once) to do some checking, give it alarm boundaries specified by me and let it do its job silently and as unobtrusive as possible. never seen one capable of that. a few came close, but failed with miserable bugs (never corrected) or had way too much overhead for something that's really very simple.

>anyway happy new year and I hope you're not smoked out yet.

thanks. same to you. it's finally starting to clear up here, although there are still a few going...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Jan 08 2002 - 06:07:03 CST