Re: Any Hotsos experiences out there?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:44:17 -0000

Hey no worries mate I know exactly where you are coming from. I think though that Cary and his co-workers would agree with you. To take the preamble from one of their free products

"The ability to diagnose and repair Oracle system performance problems is critically important to a business. Yet Oracle system performance analysis is notoriously difficult. Send a performance problem description to a news group, and you'll get five different recommendations about what to do. If you want eight more different recommendations, engage two "performance expert" consultants, buy two books, call Oracle and your disk vendor, and enroll in two performance tuning courses. Most Oracle system performance optimization "methods" today aren't really methods at all; they're guidelines that leave much to the experience and intuition of the practitioner.
Good Oracle system performance analysis is a science, not an art."

Of course NO product is a substitute for the skills and experience of a DBA and frankly companies that think that complex software can be configured optimally automagically (preferably with lots of pretty graphs) deserve all they get. That doesn't mean that there isn't a market for good tools that can help Oracle Professionals do their jobs better.

anyway happy new year and I hope you're not smoked out yet.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA