Re: (more) Given the choice: hot or cold?

From: Lionel Mandrake <nobody_at_nospam.nowhere.nohow>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 02:36:09 GMT

"dsmcd" <dsmcd_at_uswestmail.net> wrote in message news:tF8X7.1824$ju5.377337_at_news.uswest.net...
> Thanks all...
>
> Yes I'm archiving redo logs, but I thought in my particular stituation
> that my redo logs would not come into play when deciding on hot or
> cold.
>
> I figured (and please tell me if I'm wrong) that I could get a point of
> time recovery by restoring from backup and running the redo logs from
> that point forward (assuming that my redo logs are still available.
> They're spread over 2 sets of mirrors and 3 partitions.)
>
> I'll research the buffered data and shared pools issues. I'll admit
> those are new to me.
>
> Thx,
> D.
>

> I'll research the buffered data and shared pools issues. I'll admit those
are new to me.

You don't know that shutting down will flush the shared pool and the buffer cache?

> I figured (and please tell me if I'm wrong) that I could get a point of
time recovery by restoring from backup...

You will not be able to do a point in time recovery from an o/s-level (ie, cold) backup. There would be no point. It doesn't make sense.

> Yes I'm archiving redo logs, but I thought in my particular stituation
that my redo logs would not come into play when deciding on hot or cold.

Archivelog mode is critical (required) for a hot-backup, so I would say that they do, in fact, come into play.

Sign up for the Oracle Technology Network at http://otn.oracle.com and then read this document:

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/ a76993/toc.htm

HTH,