Re: (more) Given the choice: hot or cold?

From: dsmcd <dsmcd_at_uswestmail.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:35:48 GMT

>You will not be able to do a point in time recovery from an o/s-level
>(ie,
>cold) backup. There would be no point. It doesn't make sense.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I am duplexing my archived redo logs. One set is on a different pair of mirrored drives than where the tablespaces live. Same for the control files. *Assuming* a failure between backups, and *assuming* I could retrieve one good set of redo logs and a good control file, I should be able to restore the tablespaces from cold backup and then use the good control file and running the good redo logs from that point forward, getting me to the point of failure. Correct?

>Archivelog mode is critical (required) for a hot-backup, so I would
>say that
>they do, in fact, come into play.

Yes, archivelog mode is required for hot, but does not rule out cold, correct?

>Sign up for the Oracle Technology Network at http://otn.oracle.com and
>then
>read this document:

Definately will. Thanks.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it... D. Received on Fri Dec 28 2001 - 21:35:48 CST