Re: Oracle8i, Win98 -> No way to install

From: Sybrand Bakker <oradba_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:15:35 +0100

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001 19:00:27 +0100, "Opi" <opi_at_volny.cz> wrote:

>Hi, I'm trying to install Oracle8i trial.
>I've downloaded some 'light' version, psoracle81698.zip and unpacked to temp
>folder.
>This version claims that it's _specially_ for Win98.
>But when I run the autorun or setup.exe or whatever, it crashes (access
>denied error)
>I have debugged it so I found that the problem occurs in the path with the
>JRE 1.1.xx
>C:\temp\o\STAGE\Components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.
>7.24_\1\DataFiles\Expanded\jre\win32\bin\jrew.exe.
>So I have installed first JRE 1.2.2, and after the same result, JRE .1.3.1.
>But still the same.
>So I have copied the files from 1.3.1 to 1.1.7 and renamed java[w].exe to
>jre[w].exe, and, however this idea was foolish, it run - but only to the
>gray rectangle with the 'Loading' sign and ended.
>
>PLEASE. Help me with this. I am a newbie in Oracle's stuff, and I was even
>surprised that _WHOLE_ Oracle is written in Java.
>Thanks, Opi

Only the installer is written in Java, that the whole of Oracle is written in Java is definitely NOT true, don't know where you get that from.

You must be running Oracle on a Pentium 4. There are known issues with the Oracle Universal Installer on a Pentium 4, the resolution has been posted in this group many times.
Please search the archives at http://groups.google.com

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Dec 11 2001 - 13:15:35 CST