Re: Do I really need more than 1 rollback segment?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 08:59:11 +1100

It's mad, Hemant, because if OPTIMAL is set, when does the shrink actually occur? When your transaction is seeking the next extent to write its rollback to, that's when. Which means that your transaction has to take time out from doing what it is supposed to do, and wait for the shrink to take place. So it's sub-optimal for performance, in a nutshell.

Now clearly, if the rollback segment only balloons once a week, you're not going to particularly affected by that. But since growth of the rollback segment is not controllable (one user leaving open an uncommitted transaction will do it), the use of OPTIMAL also means that the shrinks are uncontrollable. You've been lucky, therefore, not to have shrinks happen left, right and centre.

Consistently sized rollback segments are easy to achieve without that overhead by simply arranging for a cron job (or a job scheduled in some other way) to issue the 'alter rollback segment shrink to X' command at a time and place of *your* choosing.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com