Re: Trying to install oracle 9i on a Redhat 7.2 :-/

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2001 09:10:01 +1100

Comments below.
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"Jan Eliasen" <eliasen_at_cs.auc.dk> wrote in message

> Hi there.
>
> I'm writing my masters in databases right now, and I need to install
> oracle 9i on my Redhat 7.2. This is the first time I'm installing oracle,
> and I'm not doing that great. I've read installation files, oracle-HOWTO
> and other stuff... but I can't get it working.
>
> I have some questions.
>
> 1. Is it really necessary to change all those parameters in the kernel
> that the installation file says? These shmmax, shmmin and so on. Three of
> them, I can't even find in my /proc/sys/kernel directory. Note: My PC is a
> PentiumII 350MhZ with 512MB RAM and 1,5GB swap.

Yes it is necessary. You'll get intermittent end-of-file on communication channels if you don't set them properly.
> 2. I haven't installed blackdown as the installation file says I must. The
> installation file says that I must install jdk1.3.1_01 AND blackdown JRE -
> but oracle also comes with its own JRE. Why all three of them? Are they
> really necessary?

Yes. The JRE it comes with is only for the use of the Installer itself. For the database to do its Java thing, it needs what the installation docs. say it needs. I can't comment directly on question 3, other than to say that if you follow the advice of the installation documents in respect of the earlier two questions, it shouldn't happen. In all seriousness, the installation documents aren't just thrown together for the hell of it, and the steps they outline are there for a reason. Regards HJR