Re: Oracle hangs, no errors

From: Burt Peltier <burtpelt_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:02:27 -0600

Those darn Oracle on Unix systems, you really have to reboot once every 248 days!

We just did a building power maintenance last weekend, and had to shutdown some Unix systems that were up for 2 years.

Good thing your not on windoze, we reboot those nightly or at least weekly. :)

> > This one sounds like the problem they may be hitting. As far as I
remember,
> > this bug is connected with control file corruption on normal shutdowns
of
> > the database which was running non-stop more than 248 days or so.
Solaris
> > has a ticker counting number of seconds since last restart, this ticker
overflows
> > and becomes negative and Oracle goes nuts. The workaround was to reboot
> > the system once in a while and if it was up more than said amount of
time,
> > shutdown abort the oracle instance and reboot the system. They also said
that
> > if controlfile corruption is already in effect, there is no other way to
get the
> > system back than to reinstall and restore from last known good backup.
By the

http://www.dpsp-yes.com