Re: Oracle 9i and PublicRollback Segment

From: Murali <oraclems_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Nov 2001 14:11:25 -0800

nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam (Nuno Souto) wrote in message news:<3c04f057.494322_at_news>...

> that mean to start a brand new, freshly baked 9i db, it needs a
> startup rollback segment? Then we add the ts for undo and declare it
> as such in init.ora, then bounce the instance?
>

> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam

No, you dont need a startup rollback segment. The CREATE DATABASE statement has an optional clause where you can specify the undo tablespace, its datafile, its size etc. Thus, the first time you open your db, you will already have the undo tablespace. If you dont specify the UNDO TABLESPACE clause in your create database statement, but init parameter undo_management is set to auto, a default undo tablespace called SYS_UNDOTBS with datafile of size 10mb is created. I havent tried creating db with manual undo management, but I assume it will be like the older versions.

Murali Received on Wed Nov 28 2001 - 16:11:25 CST