Re: How i could insert cirillic into Oracle8i on Linux?

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:40:22 +0300

First of all, Oracle charsets are OS-independent, so it doesn't really matter if it's Linux or any other platform.

As for cyrillic - there are plenty of cyrillic charsets, and you can use any of them which better suits you. For example, CL8MSWIN1251 is windows-1251 character set. You can also use UTF8 for cyrillic (as well as any other national language since it's universal). There are also charsets mapping KOI8-R, Mac Cyrillic, DOS CP-866 and others. Consult Oracle documentation specific to your Oracle8i release for the full list of supported character sets and select the one you like the best. And don't forget that you can use CONVERT() function to translate character data from one charset to another.

hth.