Oracle Ports ....

From: Ravi Alluru <ravica_at_quixnet.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 10:06:28 -0600

I had asked this question before and had got no reponse from this group. I am hoping I will get some feed back this time. At the time of an oracle installation (7.3.4 or 8.1.6) on a Solaris server (running 6 , 7 or 8) how do you know which port to use. By default it is port 1521 , but I have seen cases where 1522 or 1526 etc are also being used.
Can you change the TCP port for Oracle installs at the time of installation. Also are the ports used by the listeners only and the instance is independent of it when connections are local. I am really confused. Any pointers or guidance will be greatly appreciated. The only places I get to know which instance is on which port is from the listener.ora or the tnsnames.ora files.
But how do the ports get assigned during the install itself.

Thanking you in anticipation

--
Ravi Alluru
mailto:ravica_at_quixnet.net