Re: Extract contents of archive logs

From: Pete Finnigan <pete_at_peterfinnigan.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:50:15 +0000

Hi

You could try and use the command

SVRMGR> connect internal
SVRMGR> alter system dump logfile <logfile name> <options>.

You can find the files to dump from

select * from v$loghist;

dumping the log will create a trace file in the trace directory. If you are looking for DML against a specific object

you can find the object id with

select obj# from obj$
where name='OBJECT_NAME' and type# = <THE OBJECT TYPE NUMBER> /

I.E. the type number for a table is 2.

Then you can search the trace file, each transaction has a small header and the object number is identified by "obj" in Oracle 7. The trace is very verbose but you can extract the values from it that were inserted or updated, etc.

The DML is not easily readable but it should be possible to re-construct it as the log is a complete representation of each transaction.

Sorry i am not aware of any third part tools, but if you find any i would be interested in reading about them.

cheers
Pete Finnigan
www.pentest-limited.com

In article <6351e3a5.0111160811.5ac3013c_at_posting.google.com>, Andrew Schexnaydre <aschexnaydre_at_phihelico.com> writes

--
Pete Finnigan
IT Security Consultant

Office  01565 830 990