Re: Oracle Apps

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 06:58:02 GMT

A little known item with many customers is that many hardware vendors have special resources (their own facilities or together with Oracle) to size applications.

The simplest thing you could do is call your Sun rep & ask for sizing information.

I'd strongly recommend two separate machines, 1 for database & 1 for middle tier, so you can tune each machine appropriately. Size of machine, especially memory, is critical for performance & expansion. Personal preference, Sun 250 or 450 as a minimum.

IMHO & not to start a debate over this, but I find workstations and servers are designed for separate duty cycles. A workstation will operate as a server for a while, but generally is not intended for the continuous load put on by a group of people, in part because the disk subsystem of a workstation is designed more for a lot of user 'think time'. For 30 people, definitely go up to at least a workgroup server.