Help: file needs media recovery but lost archives

From: Ed Wong <ewong_at_mail.com>
Date: 15 Nov 2001 22:53:36 -0800

One of my datafiles in index tablespace went out of sync and I got "ORA-01113 file 549 needs media recovery". This should be really easy to fix by "recover datafile" command. Hoever, when I tried to recover it, it asked me for the archive files which are 8 days old. Unfortunately, I only keep all archives for 7 days in the filesystem before I delete them. And the backup of archive files didn't work for last week!

Is there any easy to fix the index tablespace without drop/recreate tablespaces and recreate all indexes? My db is 500gb it's going to take days to create all indexes. Is there a way to get rid of those indexes of that particular bad datafile and then simply drop that datafile?

Thanks in advance.

ewong Received on Fri Nov 16 2001 - 00:53:36 CST