Re: Help: file needs media recovery but lost archives

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 13:25:27 GMT

In article <a5ae1554.0111152253.18f37557_at_posting.google.com>, ewong_at_mail.com (Ed Wong) wrote:
>One of my datafiles in index tablespace went out of sync and I got
>"ORA-01113 file 549 needs media recovery". This should be really easy
>to fix by "recover datafile" command. Hoever, when I tried to recover
>it, it asked me for the archive files which are 8 days old.
>Unfortunately, I only keep all archives for 7 days in the filesystem
>before I delete them. And the backup of archive files didn't work for
>last week!
>
>Is there any easy to fix the index tablespace without drop/recreate
>tablespaces and recreate all indexes? My db is 500gb it's going to
>take days to create all indexes. Is there a way to get rid of those
>indexes of that particular bad datafile and then simply drop that
>datafile?

You're going to have to drop the datafile, which you can do from mount mode without dropping the contents separately. Without the logs you can do little else... except an incomplete recovery, taking the entire database back more than 8+ days, which is usually NOT an option if you want to keep your job. I'd say a more reliable backup strategy is called for, including more backups and verifying that they work. Received on Fri Nov 16 2001 - 07:25:27 CST