Re: Oracle is consistent

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 23:05:22 +0100

"J. Fleck" <fleckj__at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9sk547$fsp$1_at_scavenger.euro.net...
> Hi oracle lovers
>
> After trying to install 8.1.7 on W2K (for about 8 weeks), using only
Oracle
> default values:
>
> a.. first problem starting Listener - Windows error 5: access denied
> b.. solved problem (or symptoms) by going to Services screen, selecting
> the Oracle add-ins, Log On, changing option from 'Local System Account' to
> 'This account' and then selecting <adminstrator> account and <adminstrator
> password>
> c.. Phew! Now we are going to have fun
> d.. Tried to create database
> e.. Naughty boy - ora-12560 (tsn protocal adaptor error) - what is an
> "adaptor" ?
> f.. Looked everywhere on the internet - very common problem. Not many
very
> solutions - except read Oracle documentation - solution is "turn tracing
on"
> 8 weeks later - why don't try we Oracle 9 - ok lets go
>
> - downloaded
>
> a.. first problem starting Listener - Windows error 5: access denied
> b.. solved problem (or symptoms) by going to Services screen, selecting
> the Oracle add-ins, Log On, changing option from 'Local System Account' to
> 'This account' and then selecting <adminstrator> account and <adminstrator
> password>
> c.. Phew! Now we are going to have fun
> d.. Tried to create database
> e.. Naughty boy - ora-12560
> I am reminded of the comparison between different operating systems (ok I
> know that Oracle isn't an operating system - lets call it poetic licence)
> that I read a number of years ago. An aircraft has to be designed and
built
> using software running under a particular OS:
>
> a.. Windows - the aircraft is built in record time. It can carry 5000
> passengers at 5000 kph. On the maiden flight, it streaks to 10000 metres
in
> 5 seconds then explodes, killing all 20 passengers. Microsoft then
announces
> that the following version will be somewhat slower and more expensive but
> only 50% of the passengers will be killed;
> b.. Unix - The passengers arrive at the airport and are given a plan to
> build their own aircraft. After 3 hours they have a row and all decide to
> build their own aircraft. A number succeed. All passengers are expected to
> have a pilot's licence.
> c.. Linux- A splinter Unix group. The aircraft is very cheap. All
> passengers are expected to have a pilot's licence and they must re-build
the
> aircraft before every flight
> d.. IBM - builds a very reliable model based on well tried technology.
Can
> carry upto 100000 passengers at a speed of 3000 kph. Requires 200 cabin
crew
> for every passenger
> e.. Oracle - great design, state of the art features, price /
performance
> very good value. Complexity is a major problem. When they roll off the
> production floor the wings are often too large to pass through the hangar
> doors. The aircraft then returns an error message 'ora-11AAA - unable to
> insert null object into anything at all - please try to read and
understand
> any documentation that you can find - or turn trace on'
> Jim Fleck

I don't think your comments are justified. That you can't install Oracle doesn't tell anything about the quality of Oracle.
Many people are capable of installing it by pushing just one button. Most likely you tried to do the same, or you tried to install Oracle on a PDC or you tried to install Oracle on a DHCP managed server, or whatever. Your comments at least show you never read the 'Getting started manual' or any other installation notes. Your comments under b) clearly show that: you need to be logged on as administrator and if you would have done so you wouldn't have to mangle with the services setting. So far people here did try to help you out, what was a bit difficult, because you provided very little clue about what you did, and also never reported back as to success or failure of the suggestions provided to you. So I would replace
e oracle Must be at least capable and willing to read installation manual. Won't work when all the provisions and requirements in the installation doco are not being adhered too, and the steps outlined there aren't followed closely.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA