Re: Oracle is consistent

From: J. Fleck <fleckj__at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:12:39 +0100

Sorry I haven't had much time to read or reply to the different (sometimes provocative) reactions to my posting. Firstly a reaction to Sybrand: - I do not have a PDC or DHCP managed server (I use W2K professional using ADSL sharing an internet connection with my son runnimg 'allboard'). I do not know if this confuses Oracle. I have a 2 * Maxtor 40 gb hard disks with a Hotpoint controller configuered as a Raid striped array - Of course I am logged on as administrateur. In fact I do not think Oracle allows you to install if you are not logged on as administrateur - regarding "Reporting back", I agree to a certain extent. I however have a tendency to only report successes not failures. I have had personal (e-mail contact) with a number of other Oracle users with the same problem (ora-12560) but nobody has been able to offer me a solution - I think you should also read my original my posting again where in fact I suggest that Oracle is a superior product - With regard to the installation documentation please point me in the right direction. I cannot find anything which really relates to my problem. Alternatively, I think that we both live in Holland, in that case come along. Install it for me. We can drink a couple of beers and have a meal. While your style may be abrasive, you are both knowledgable and professional, so hang in!
-
With regard to the other reactions (not Sybrand): - I did not mention MS Access in any of my posts - When I talk about a period of ** 8 weeks ** I am talking about my own free time (i.e about 24 hours) not in a professional capacity. Plus I do not pretend to be an Oracle professional.
- With regard to "anyone with a little common sense" - please send me your a copy of your CV and your salary slip and I think with my apparent lack of common sense, I am probably doing better.

Kindest regards

Jim Fleck

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:turdln8719fvd3_at_corp.supernews.com...

> [...]
selecting
> > the Oracle add-ins, Log On, changing option from 'Local System Account'
> > 'This account' and then selecting <adminstrator> account and
<adminstrator
> > password>
> > c.. Phew! Now we are going to have fun
> > d.. Tried to create database
> > e.. Naughty boy - ora-12560
> > I am reminded of the comparison between different operating systems (ok
> > know that Oracle isn't an operating system - lets call it poetic
licence)
> > that I read a number of years ago. An aircraft has to be designed and
> built
> > using software running under a particular OS:
> >
> > a.. Windows - the aircraft is built in record time. It can carry 5000
> > passengers at 5000 kph. On the maiden flight, it streaks to 10000 metres
> in
> > 5 seconds then explodes, killing all 20 passengers. Microsoft then
> announces
> > that the following version will be somewhat slower and more expensive
but
> > only 50% of the passengers will be killed;
> > b.. Unix - The passengers arrive at the airport and are given a plan
> > build their own aircraft. After 3 hours they have a row and all decide
> > build their own aircraft. A number succeed. All passengers are expected
> > have a pilot's licence.
> > c.. Linux- A splinter Unix group. The aircraft is very cheap. All
> > passengers are expected to have a pilot's licence and they must re-build
> the
> > aircraft before every flight
> > d.. IBM - builds a very reliable model based on well tried technology.
> Can
> > carry upto 100000 passengers at a speed of 3000 kph. Requires 200 cabin
> crew
> > for every passenger
> > e.. Oracle - great design, state of the art features, price /
> performance
> > very good value. Complexity is a major problem. When they roll off the
> > production floor the wings are often too large to pass through the
hangar
> > doors. The aircraft then returns an error message 'ora-11AAA - unable to
> > insert null object into anything at all - please try to read and
> understand
> > any documentation that you can find - or turn trace on'
> > Jim Fleck
> >

> I don't think your comments are justified.
> That you can't install Oracle doesn't tell anything about the quality of
> Oracle.
> Many people are capable of installing it by pushing just one button.
> Most likely you tried to do the same, or you tried to install Oracle on a
> PDC or you tried to install Oracle on a DHCP managed server, or whatever.
> Your comments at least show you never read the 'Getting started manual' or
> any other installation notes. Your comments under b) clearly show that:
you