Re: processes not released, got ora-00020 error

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 07:22:39 +0100

"godmann" <allanwtham_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:95cd51c.0111061843.3fc60e66_at_posting.google.com...
> Sybrand,
>
> > You see the number of processes grow as the connection doesn't terminate
> > with an explicit disconnect, they just leave the executable and that's
it.
> > As Oracle is fully two task, there is always a session being served by
> > dedicated process, that are the oracle<sid> process entries you are
seeing.
> > You can kill the session with status inactive and last_call_et non-zero
or
> > high in v$session.
>

> I had a similar problem with MM earlier version where the connection
pool is
> used and the web users connect via connection pool. I wonder what is the
> good solution cuz apparently this MM keeps increase the connection without
> knowing how to release them. So, you actually can see a lot of idle
connection
> and even when users log off, the amount of connection opened is not
decreased..
> In other words, it only knows how to increase but not decrease. I had to
do
> "Alter system kill session 'sid, serial#'. sqlnet.expire_time didn't work
> in my case. Are most software out there still do that?
>

> Allan W. Tham
> DBA
As to your last question: I am afraid so. The only solution I see is periodically run a script which determines which session a idle, write a kill -9 to script output and run that (on NT that would be orakill) You could experiment with idle_time in profile, but AFAIK that doesn't buy you much, as the client session will be disconnected, but the disconnection won't be complete until the client confirms the disconnect.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA