Slow Import

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 15:31:35 -0000

Cameron,

I would add to your command line, the following :

 buffer=1024000 commit=yes

If you have the memory, make the buffer bigger - I have seen 8M recommended just this week on this NG.
That way, you won't hit a possible problem of running oput of rollback segment space. At present you are committing once, at the very end of the import. This will be quicker than every 'buffersize', but needs a lot of RBS.

Other tints and hips :

I presume you are importing into a blank user (lack of ignore=yes on command line) so dropping indexes woun't help here. If the users tables were simply truncated, lose the indexes too, so you don't update them with the table data during the import. I have read that imports go much much quicker if you :

To me, it seems 'silly' that three passes would be quicker than just one, however, until I try it properly, I'm not going to dismiss it.

The constraints on your tables will be built as part of the import. I suspect putting a primary key on your big table will take time. Are there a lot of stored procedures, packaged etc - they get imported as well.

Check out your sort parameters in initSID.ora - they might be too small and the sorting required for building indexes is taking place on disc.

Do you have the export file on the same discs/controller as the database datafiles/temp files ?
If so, not a good idea.

Did the export specify compress=y, again, not a good idea if you have carefully set up the tablespaces to have equal initial and next extents. However, if the exported database has something like an initial = next = 40Kb, then there will be a lot of dynamic extension going on as each extend is required and allocated.

I'm sure someone else will have other suggestions, but I hope this lot helps.

Oh, exports always ruin much quicker than imports :o)

Regards,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar			EMail:	Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
				Fax:	0113 289 3146
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	URL:	http://www.Lynx-FS.com