Re: Sybrand Bakker

From: Chris Boyle <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 08:45:38 -0500

I must agree with. Sybrand, Howard, Jonathon, Norman, Nuno etc. ( No offense if I skipped anybody) have all proven to be fantastic resources. Occasionally yes, you will get a terse answer suggesting you might RTFM for basic questions, but I have seen nothing but helpful responses when a person has put forth some effort on their part to at least understand the question they are asking. No one is being forced to contribute but these very talented people are willing to help out others with less or different experience. I have not seen any evidence of a prima donna complex, no one comes across as treating you like a silly newbie if you show evidence of some effort. They are not here to provide a free consulting service, the focus is more on educating. As a matter of fact, I have included some of these people in interview questions for developers. I ask where would you find Sybrand, Howard, Tom... if you needed assistance. I want to know that the person has enough of an interest in their work to want to keep expanding their knowledge. If they aren't browsing the newsgroups these names won't mean much to them, but if they do know, I count it as a plus. I know I have been able to learn a great deal from reading their replies, even if it doesn't relate to a problem I currently have. I have, more than once, impressed my boss with knowledge I got from the newsgroups. I have also learned that I should not post a question that is covered on page 2 of the oracle documentation or ask a question without providing a platform and version. Having gone through the material for 9i I was amazed at all the changes that were made. Version 8 doesn't have Java support while 8i does. There are so many differences that most of the answers will be version specific (even to what is supported in SQL i.e. CASE, WITH). Miss Cleo isn't posting on this board so unless the version is stated, no one can tell which answer is needed. (oh the number of post I have seen asking how to set up utl_ftp on a 7.3 or 8.0 instance). If you aren't willing to put forth at least a little bit of effort you shouldn't be surprised or offended by the type of response you get.