Sybrand Bakker

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:00:07 -0000

Neil,

Just a tad unkind.
Sybrand, like the rest of us, help out voluntarily. He answers a whole load of queries on this NG, sometimes over and over and over again - because people don't seem to want to check out the archives, first - understandable when in a fix, but ... And time and time again, someone asks a question which is specific to a version of Oracle. Whoever answers the question needs to know the version.
And time and time again, no error messages are posted, we get something like 'blah doesn't work' - not much use to anyone that. So eventually, the responders on this list get a bit/a lot/seriously p*ss*d off and growl.

Some more than others.

Sybrand is highly respected amongst us regulars and has a very high understanding of Oracle. If you want answers, give the correct info up front when you ask, and at least try to find out if it has been answered before.

Cheers,

Norman.

PS. I'm not a boffin !
I too am a mere mortal - compared with most of the 'big guns' on this list.
I try to be helpful - but the quality of the reply is directly proportional to the quality of the input information. If I post a stupid question - that has been answered before - I expect a bollocking.
It's not easy being a DBA.

Norman Dunbar			EMail:	Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
				Fax:	0113 289 3146
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	URL:	http://www.Lynx-FS.com