Re: Oracle DB on W2k

From: Trifon Anguelov <trifona_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:09:04 GMT

"Pablo" <mammal_at_interia.pl> wrote in message news:9rmeqq$30d$1_at_news.tpi.pl...
> Hi,
> I've install two almost identical W2k servers with two Oracle databases.
> Both of the databases were installed identically, but one doesn't want to
> start automatically.
> OracleService doesn't start, without any reports of any problems.
> When I try to startup the database using MMC Console I receive error:
> "Failed to start service. error" (0x80070420).
> And the fanniest thing is that if I start the database using command-line
> utility
> everything works fine.
>
> Do you know any workaround for this problem.

Pablo,

Seems the installations are not so identical after all. -)))

Check in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> ORACLE -> HOME<your home id> -> ORA_<your oracle db sid>_AUTOSTART if set to "TRUE".

The same could be done in Control Panel -> Services -> OracleStart<your oracle db sid> and OracleService<your oracle db sid> has to set up to "Automatic".

After OS reboot Oracle services should start automaticaly. If not check your alert_<oracle sid>.ora file in BDUMP directory for more clues.

Hope that helps.

Trifon Anguelov
Senior Oracle DBA

http://www.dbaclick.com