Re: Oracle DB on W2k

From: Pablo <mammal_at_interia.pl>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 09:32:38 +0100

Użytkownik "Trifon Anguelov" <trifona_at_pacbell.net> napisał w wiadomości news:41CD7.6441$Da3.2485391458_at_newssvr14.news.prodigy.com...

> "Pablo" <mammal_at_interia.pl> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I've install two almost identical W2k servers with two Oracle databases.
> > Both of the databases were installed identically, but one doesn't want
> > start automatically.
> > OracleService doesn't start, without any reports of any problems.
> > When I try to startup the database using MMC Console I receive error:
> > "Failed to start service. error" (0x80070420).
> > And the fanniest thing is that if I start the database using
command-line
> > utility
> > everything works fine.
> >
> > Do you know any workaround for this problem.
> >

> Pablo,
>
> Seems the installations are not so identical after all. -)))
>
> Check in the registry:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> ORACLE -> HOME<your home id> ->
ORA_<your
> oracle db sid>_AUTOSTART if set to "TRUE".
>
> The same could be done in Control Panel -> Services -> OracleStart<your
> oracle db sid> and OracleService<your oracle db sid> has to set up to
> "Automatic".
>
> After OS reboot Oracle services should start automaticaly. If not check
your
> alert_<oracle sid>.ora file in BDUMP directory for more clues.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Trifon Anguelov
> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> http://www.dbaclick.com
> > Regards
> > Pablo

Hello Trifon,

I checked the registry and everything was OK according to your information. I cheked aler<>.ora
file as well, but I didn't find any cluses there. Then I started to change OracleService parameters and
found out that:
1. After installation OracleService starts on "Local\System" priviledges. And this is OK for one

   of the mentioned servers.
2. I changed this startup priviledge on the server which had problems with starting the service, to

    administrator account and eventually everything works fine.

The trouble is that I still don't know why it behaves in this way. Maybe it is rather M$'s problem then
Oracle's. What do you think about it.

Thanks in advance,
Pablo Received on Wed Oct 31 2001 - 02:32:38 CST