Re: Multiple instances on a single database

From: Roel Toledo <dontsendmailstome_at_bogusmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 08:24:10 GMT

> I am trying with no success to start multiple instances
> using a single physical database.
> When I mount the second instance I get and error saying that
> the database cannot be mounted when in shared mode.
> Is there a particular option that let multiple mounting of
> an Oracle 8.1.6 DB (RH Linux 6.1).

Maybe you have mislabeled "single physical database" when what you actually meant by it was "single node or host."

Here are the points that you should remember: One node can support multiple Oracle database software versions. One Oracle database software can support multiple instances. One instance can run only one database.

So if you are trying to start multiple instances on a single host, I don't think there should be any problem with it unless you are running out of system resources (e.g. insufficient memory most probably). Received on Mon Oct 29 2001 - 02:24:10 CST