Re: Oracle database transfer

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 22:42:44 +0200

"Neil Garner" <Jim_at_garner21.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:9rev3q$ov$1_at_newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk...
> Please help
>
> I'm fairly new to Oracle, so please forgive my ignorance.
>
> Situation.
> We have two NT servers both running Oracle 8i, in a production environment
> both with an existing database. We would like to add another database to
one
> and have a standby database on the other. We have transferred a SQLbase
> database to a testbed, taking it through varoius upgrades, and tranferred
it
> on to oracle on the testbed.
>
> Question
> How can we transfer it form the testbed to the prodution area? There is no
> connection between the two domains, so anything transferred would have to
> done via tape. We don't have enterprise manager installed in either
domain,
> so the way I understand it we can't use the Export/Import utility. Would
it
> be possible to backup the database files and restore them to the
production
> environment?. If so which files would need backing up and where would they
> need to be restored? Can this be done using either an on-line or off-line
> backup, if so how can this be done?.
>
> Any advice or comments would be very much appreciated.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Neil.

export and import both have a commandline interface, which works fine without OEM. The executables are called exp and imp respectively and exp help=y and imp help=y will show all the commandline options, which are also documented in the Oracle Server Utilities Manual. The only other option would be to 'clone' the *complete* database. This has been described many times in this newsgroup.

My suspicion that using a GUI interface destroys grey cells has now been thoroughly confirmed.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Sat Oct 27 2001 - 15:42:44 CDT