Oracle database transfer

From: Neil Garner <Jim_at_garner21.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 19:42:48 +0100

Please help

I'm fairly new to Oracle, so please forgive my ignorance.

Situation.
We have two NT servers both running Oracle 8i, in a production environment both with an existing database. We would like to add another database to one and have a standby database on the other. We have transferred a SQLbase database to a testbed, taking it through varoius upgrades, and tranferred it on to oracle on the testbed.

Question
How can we transfer it form the testbed to the prodution area? There is no connection between the two domains, so anything transferred would have to done via tape. We don't have enterprise manager installed in either domain, so the way I understand it we can't use the Export/Import utility. Would it be possible to backup the database files and restore them to the production environment?. If so which files would need backing up and where would they need to be restored? Can this be done using either an on-line or off-line backup, if so how can this be done?.

Any advice or comments would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Neil. Received on Sat Oct 27 2001 - 13:42:48 CDT