Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Michael G. Schneider <mgs_at_mgs-software.de>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 22:52:16 +0200

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:jOEC7.2166$ib.1423134_at_news1.sttln1.wa.home.com...

> Look
> at all the "universal" ways MS has come up with accessing data:
> ODBC,OLE,ADO,DAO,Jet, dblib,ect. But I think you miss Thomas Kyte's point.

This thread is getting boring. Especially now, where an Oracle professional tries to explain MS technology to me.

DBLIB has been a technology for accessing MS SQL Server (long time ago). There has been absolutely nothing "universal" in it.

JET is a database engine. It has been used in MS Access, as well as the information store for MS Exchange. There has been absolutely nothing "universal" in it.

DAO might be argued as being the beginning of "universal access". Although I wouldn't support the statement that DAO is to be used for "universal access" in the way we understand it today.

It's absolutely easy to teach me Oracle Administration. It's hard to tell me something new about MS technology.

Michael G. Schneider Received on Sat Oct 27 2001 - 15:52:16 CDT