Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Michael G. Schneider <mgs_at_mgs-software.de>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 21:53:36 +0200

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:7DDC7.2056$ib.1262380_at_news1.sttln1.wa.home.com...

> That's probably your problem. If you don't know what host variables are
> then you aren't using them. You need to enlighten yourself and read the
> Oracle application developer's guide. If you purchased Oracle in your
> native language then that documentation should be in your language. (Thus
> making reading the documentation easier.) If you want to use an OLE type
> interface then look at Oracle's OLE objects. It allows you to use host
> variables and even gives you some pointers at how to increase the
> performance and scalability of the application. The OLE/DB interface you
> are currently using is a Microsoft specification and is slanted towards MS
> SQLServer and thus does not include the Oracle optimizations.

Which of my statements made you believe that I do not know what host variables are or that I did not use them? In my last post I said "I do not quite understand, what made you guess this.". My English is not perfect but this does not mean

but instead it means

Until now, I have not yet realized that MS OLE/DB is slanted to any specific database system. I would be happy if you gave a concrete example for this. Something which is indeed directed at a certain database is the OLE/DB Provider. Actually it is not only directed at a certain database, it is created for exactly one data source. Of course there are OLE/DB Providers for Oracle, too. I think with the 8.1.x release, also Oracle released an own Oracle OLE/DB Provider.

Think of OLE/DB as a framework, into which many data providers can be plugged into. OLE/DB is so universal, that you can work with MS SQL Server, Oracle, MS Active Directory and many more.

Michael G. Schneider Received on Sat Oct 27 2001 - 14:53:36 CDT