Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 19:08:51 GMT

That's probably your problem. If you don't know what host variables are then you aren't using them. You need to enlighten yourself and read the Oracle application developer's guide. If you purchased Oracle in your native language then that documentation should be in your language. (Thus making reading the documentation easier.) If you want to use an OLE type interface then look at Oracle's OLE objects. It allows you to use host variables and even gives you some pointers at how to increase the performance and scalability of the application. The OLE/DB interface you are currently using is a Microsoft specification and is slanted towards MS SQLServer and thus does not include the Oracle optimizations. Since MS SQLServer and Oracle are worlds different as databases this causes problems and leads to people trying to treat a database as a database. When they are very different.

My advise would be to take a more team approach to product development, read the vendor's documentation, work with skilled professionals in other areas (DBA's, Data Modelers, etc.) and treat them as professionals. In return they will respect you, your product will be of professional quality, your customers will love you , you will learn a lot and get a great sense of accomplishment.
Jim