Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Michael G. Schneider <mgs_at_mgs-software.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 08:07:14 +0200

"Glen A Stromquist" <gstromquist_at_hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:lhIz7.12559$Og4.1818887_at_news0.telusplanet.net... >

> As far as your management server not starting up, check your services to
see
> if its running, and make sure its on auto start. Up till now I didnt like
> the OEM, it is slow and clunky, but I am using it more and more, to the
> point now that it e-mails my cellphone when I have an node or database
> outage, full tablespace, out of extents etc... and it works great for
that.

I do know Windows better than Oracle. Of course I checked the services section. The Management Server could not be started, neither automatically nor manually.

But the problem is described in news groups archives. Others have had the same problem. It was solved by changing SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICE=(NTS) to SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICE=(). I do not know why this change was necessary here on this specific PC (maybe Windows 2000, maybe Active Directory, maybe PDC same as Oracle server), nor do I know why it hasn't been done automatically by the setup.

Michael G. Schneider Received on Fri Oct 19 2001 - 01:07:14 CDT