Re: starting Oracle on Linux

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: 18 Oct 2001 12:16:42 -0700

"Alexandr Belovol" <rockwell_at_enlux.dp.ua> wrote in message news:<9qmn53$5r6$1_at_pandora.alkar.net>...
> [...]

From the Oracle documentation:

ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel

Cause: An unexpected end-of-file was processed on the communication channel. The problem could not be handled by the Net8, two task, software. This message could occur if the shadow two-task process associated with a Net8 connect has terminated abnormally, or if there is a physical failure of the interprocess communication vehicle, that is, the network or server machine went down. In addition, this message could occur when ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION or ALTER SYSTEM DISCONNECT SESSION were issued with the IMMEDIATE qualifier because, in those cases, the client's connection to the database is terminated without waiting for the client to issue a request.

Action: If this message occurs during a connection attempt, check the setup files for the appropriate Net8 driver and confirm Net8 software is correctly installed on the server. If the message occurs after a connection is well established, and the error is not due to a physical failure, check if a trace file was generated on the server at failure time. Existence of a trace file may suggest an Oracle internal error that requires the assistance of customer support.

Check your Net8 installation and verify that the listener is actually up and running:

lsnrctl status

If necessary correct any configuration problems and restart the listener. If that is not the cause check for trace files and look in the alert log (a suggestion made earlier) for possible causes. You may need to contact Oracle Support.