Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:41:47 +0100

"Michael G. Schneider" <mgs_at_mgs-software.de> wrote in message news:9qm685$ulr$03$1_at_news.t-online.com...
> Because I am currently struggling installing Oracle 8.1.7
>
> MS SQL Server is installed by clicking SETUP.exe. Then it runs fine.
Oracle
> is installed by clicking SETUP.exe and then correcting some errors in
> INI-files, searching for reports about why a certain component does not
work
> and finally giving up, just because I (a software developer) don't have
the
> time to become a DBA.

Sounds like you had a hard time. In all instances in my company Oracle has been installed by inserting the CD into the cd-rom drive and clicking through the Installer. This applies to 7.3.4,8.0.5, 8.1.6,8.1.7. On the other hand as Oracle doesn't actually use INI files to the best of my knowledge....

> MS SQL Server has a user interface that is consistent with the plattform.
It
> is a Windows interface which behaves just like any other Windows programm.
> Oracle has a user interface which has been programmed with Java. It is
> terribly slow and it does not follow the usual Windows Interface
Guidelines.
> For a Windows-only user this interface is hard to operate with.

This is probably a ,mostly, fair point. However Oracle isn't limited to the win32 platform. Moreover it comes with plenty of nice fast command line utilities. In addition the Windows User Interface guidelines change every time MS produces a major release of either Windows or Office. Just compare the Office95 interface to the Office XP interface and you'll see how much the times have changed.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA