Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Michael G. Schneider <mgs_at_mgs-software.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:19:53 +0200

Because I am currently struggling installing Oracle 8.1.7

MS SQL Server is installed by clicking SETUP.exe. Then it runs fine. Oracle is installed by clicking SETUP.exe and then correcting some errors in INI-files, searching for reports about why a certain component does not work and finally giving up, just because I (a software developer) don't have the time to become a DBA.

MS SQL Server has a user interface that is consistent with the plattform. It is a Windows interface which behaves just like any other Windows programm. Oracle has a user interface which has been programmed with Java. It is terribly slow and it does not follow the usual Windows Interface Guidelines. For a Windows-only user this interface is hard to operate with.

Michael G. Schneider Received on Thu Oct 18 2001 - 04:19:53 CDT