Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Michael G. Schneider <mgs_at_mgs-software.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:51:41 +0200

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3bcef87b$0$232$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net...

> Sounds like you had a hard time. In all instances in my company Oracle has
> been installed by inserting the CD into the cd-rom drive and clicking
> through the Installer. This applies to 7.3.4,8.0.5, 8.1.6,8.1.7. On the
> other hand as Oracle doesn't actually use INI files to the best of my
> knowledge....

Just have a look at my problem "Oracle Management Server cannot be started" posted in Oct 15th as well as the reply to the previous post in this thread.

In my personal opinion an INI file isn't limited to files with the extension INI. For example the SQLNET.ORA or INIT.ORA are indeed INI files.

> > MS SQL Server has a user interface that is consistent with the
plattform.
> It
> > is a Windows interface which behaves just like any other Windows
programm.
> > Oracle has a user interface which has been programmed with Java. It is
> > terribly slow and it does not follow the usual Windows Interface
> Guidelines.
> > For a Windows-only user this interface is hard to operate with.
>
> This is probably a ,mostly, fair point. However Oracle isn't limited to
the
> win32 platform. Moreover it comes with plenty of nice fast command line
> utilities. In addition the Windows User Interface guidelines change every
> time MS produces a major release of either Windows or Office. Just compare
> the Office95 interface to the Office XP interface and you'll see how much
> the times have changed.

I did not describe this fully. But I am not telling that the Oracle User Interface doesn't follow the most recent features of product XYZ. What I dislike is, that it doesn't even follow the most basic User Interface Guidelines that any Windows user knows about. Some examples are:

These guidelines have been in Windows for many many years.

Michael G. Schneider Received on Thu Oct 18 2001 - 14:51:41 CDT