Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 18 Oct 2001 07:02:57 -0700

"Michael G. Schneider" <mgs_at_mgs-software.de> wrote in message news:<9qm685$ulr$03$1_at_news.t-online.com>...
> Because I am currently struggling installing Oracle 8.1.7
>
> MS SQL Server is installed by clicking SETUP.exe. Then it runs fine. Oracle
> is installed by clicking SETUP.exe and then correcting some errors in
> INI-files, searching for reports about why a certain component does not work
> and finally giving up, just because I (a software developer) don't have the
> time to become a DBA.

Yes you're definitely true. And if you will try MS Access you can realize that you may not even be a software developer, because with handy wizard you can make your database with just a few clicks. :-)

> MS SQL Server has a user interface that is consistent with the plattform. It
> is a Windows interface which behaves just like any other Windows programm.
> Oracle has a user interface which has been programmed with Java. It is
> terribly slow and it does not follow the usual Windows Interface Guidelines.
> For a Windows-only user this interface is hard to operate with.

Oh, dear I'm so glad that Oracle interface "does not follow the usual Windows Interface Guidelines", because that interface could look on my HP-UX or Solaris boxes rather clumsy, especially at a text-based console. :-)

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.