Is pl/sql still in wide use as a development tool for Oracle?

From: Christopher <icarus_at_caffeine.doit.wisc.edu>
Date: 17 Oct 2001 14:39:21 -0700

My company is migrating some of our databases to Oracle, and I am teaching myself a little on the side in anticipation of this (currently I use perl and MySQL or PostgreSQL). After browsing through the current books out there, I notice that there aren't many books on pl/sql and furthermore, there are even fewer published in the past few years. Oracle Press' and OReilly's most recent contributions in pl/sql are both about 4 years old.

I was wondering if this is because pl/sql is being deprecated in favor of other development tools (a la Crystal Reports, etc. -- which I know nothing about)?

If anyone has insight into whether pl/sql is worth learning or if it would be better to look into something else, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris Received on Wed Oct 17 2001 - 16:39:21 CDT