Re: Is pl/sql still in wide use as a development tool for Oracle?

From: Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 10:43:58 GMT

On 17 Oct 2001 14:39:21 -0700, icarus_at_caffeine.doit.wisc.edu (Christopher) wrote:

>My company is migrating some of our databases to Oracle, and I am
>teaching myself a little on the side in anticipation of this
>(currently I use perl and MySQL or PostgreSQL). After browsing
>through the current books out there, I notice that there aren't many
>books on pl/sql and furthermore, there are even fewer published in the
>past few years. Oracle Press' and OReilly's most recent contributions
>in pl/sql are both about 4 years old.

sorry, but that ain't correct. PL/SQL-guru Steven Feuerstein is constantly writing new books (8i new features, Best Practises, Workbook etc)

>I was wondering if this is because pl/sql is being deprecated in favor
>of other development tools (a la Crystal Reports, etc. -- which I know
>nothing about)?
>
>If anyone has insight into whether pl/sql is worth learning or if it
>would be better to look into something else, I'd appreciate it.

If you migrate to Oracle...

If you want to put functionality into the database...

...learn PL/SQL! It's not that hard to learn.

regards
Marc Blum
mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de
http://www.marcblum.de Received on Thu Oct 18 2001 - 05:43:58 CDT