Re: segments/extents ? maxextents?

From: Rob Williamson <robw_at_physics.umd.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:04:42 -0400

Thankyou for the response but could you clarify one area?

MAXEXTENTS
 specifies the total number of extents, including the first, that Oracle can allocate for the object. The minimum value is 1 (except for rollback segments, which always have a minimum value of 2). The default value depends on your data block size.

Which data block size OS or Oracle?

What happens if I leave maxextents out of my storage clause ( I have seen this done )but have a min =2 and initial=next=256K and pctincrease =0 for RBS will it calculate how many extents I need up to my 10 M? ie 37 or some other number?

Could I verify this if I created a tablespace for testing to prove these things to myself using dba_extents view and tablespaces view or some other views?

How do you find out your OS block size ( or whatever it is that helps figure DB_Block_size parameter; they should be multiples correct? 128K os block size should have at least 128K
DB_Block_Size or 256,512,1024 ... ) I use digital unix 4.0.d or e?

Thanks again
Rob