Re: Deleting data permanently

From: marcin <gormar_at_poczta.wprost.pl>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:59:34 +0200

Howard J. Rogers wrote in message <3bcb500b_at_news.iprimus.com.au>...
>No version supplied, so this is just guess work, but transportable
>tablespaces seem like the way to go. Use the 'alter table X move
tablespace
>Y' to move all the vendor's data segments into a single tablespace. Use
the
>transport tablespace options to create a fairly small dump file, then ship
>that and the relevant dbf to the vendor. He should then simply be able to
>plug it in to whatever database he has available.
>
>Regards
>HJR
Oooppsss,
 sorry - really forgotten. Oracle 8.1.6 on NT 4.0 Your solution seems ok for transporting a table - what about indexes ? They would also have to be moved to different tablespace then. If there are a lot of objects to be moved - that's gonna be time-consuming. I was rather looking for simple approach like dumping DB structure without data (if possible), recreating that on the vendor's side, then creating temp_tables containing only vendor data , dumping and bulk loading them to the vendors.

My primary question , however , is , considering my first approach - would turning db into noarchivelog mode before deleting records be enough not to let the DB be recovered by the vendor ? (vendor has no backup of the original DB)

best regards

marcin Received on Tue Oct 16 2001 - 01:59:34 CDT