Re: Standby database as a reporting database ?

From: Trifon Anguelov <trifona_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 23:03:39 +0000

Christian Svensson wrote:

> Greetings !
>
> I am studying for the Backup & Recovery certification (Oracle 8i) and
> wonder if there are any means to make a standby database as a
> reporting database.
>
> What I have read so far is that if you open the standby db, it gets
> out of sync from the production db and will not apply the archived
> redo logs anymore.
>
> I cant be the only person thinking this is a waste of resources. There
> must be some ways to accomplish this. How is it in Oracle 9i ?
>
> Thanks for any ideas.
>
> /Christian Svensson

Christian,

The other way is replication which in most cases is used for replicating subset or the whole database to reporting db.

In Oracle 9i there is Data Guard 9i which makes easy to fail over to standby db. In most cases standby db is used as HA solution instead of read-only db.

Also on the market are Veritas Replication and Quest Shareplex - check them out. Great products.

Hope that helps.

Trifon Anguelov
Senior Oracle DBA

www.dbaclick.com Received on Fri Sep 28 2001 - 18:03:39 CDT