Re: Installing 9i on Linux

From: Samuel H Roseman <calliesam_at_ev1.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2001 23:27:58 -0500

"Howard J. Rogers" wrote:

> Being a simple-minded Windows user, I'm having great O/S difficulty trying
> to follow the Oracle guide to installing 9i on Linux.
>
> Basically, I fall at the first hurdle: "Steps to Perform as the Root User -
> Create Mount Points". And then it goes downhill thereafter.
>
> I know the basic mount command, but if I try "mount /u01 /some_directory",
> it doesn't work, so the subtleties of its syntax must be escaping me. Any
> suggestions for how to get this working, and what my mount point should
> actually reference?
>
> There's also the slight problem of creating the Oracle User... first, it
> appears to exist already, right after a fresh SuSe 7.1 installation, which
> surprised me somewhat... but if I delete that, then use useradd -g dba -p
> password oracle, I can't log in as "oracle". Again, am I missing something
> (well, clearly I am, but you know what I mean).
>
> Any help from someone who's pulled this installation off would be enormously
> appreciated. And whilst I can muddle my way around Linux, "muddle" is the
> operative word, so think "Windows User" when posting any advice.
>
> If all else fails, I shall be lugging my PC back into the office on Tuesday,
> and the Oracle Unix gurus can deal with it then... but I hate to admit
> defeat quite so early on in the piece.
>
> Regards
> HJR
In all honesty, I believe you need to be more familiar with Linux or Unix in general.
The instructions mention changing semaphore value in the /proc filesystem. It mention creating various groups (oinstall, and can't remember the others). It also mentions something about oratab in /etc. In addition, you may need to create additional swap partitions for the install.

I ended up creating 4 additional swap partitions for a total of 5. I saw where someone believe this is due to a memory leak. In summary, if you are not remotely familiar with...

  1. /proc
  2. /etc and the configuration files therein (services, inittab, etc.).
  3. /etc/init.d startup and shutdown scripts
  4. Basic Linux commands such as mount, umount, cd, grep, locate, mkdir, rm, etc. ...you will most like run into a road block.

Take the time to learn a little Unix/Linux. It won't be too painful.

Sam

P.S.
I've got 9.0.1 running on my desktop. Received on Sun Sep 02 2001 - 23:27:58 CDT