Re: Installing 9i on Linux

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 20:42:22 +1000

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the post. I absolutely agree with you that my Linux skills are pathetic, and that I should invest some time in developing them -unfortunately,
I have to teach the 9i New Features course in 4 weeks' time, so time is of the
essence, and that particular luxury will have to wait! Given that I'm teaching
Oracle, not Linux, I reckoned that if anything could be done to get me over the
initial humps, it would help (after all, we teach all our courses on Solaris, so
I'm not a complete Unix neophyte).

Actually, as you may have seen, the thing is now up and running. The killers for me were: what is the password of the "oracle" user that SuSe so kindly creates for you? That was fixed with Dave's help: "passwd oracle" lets me set it anything I like.

Creating a .bashrc to get the PATH and other environment variables defined on
logon was new to me, but I knew something like it needed to be done.

And there are only two kernel parameters that needed to be changed (this was a
fresh Linux installation out of the box), and the Oracle doco is quite good on
explaining how to do that.

Fiddling around with /etc/group and so on is something I demo on the DBA course
to set up O/S authentication, so that was no particular drama, either.

Wierdly, I didn't need to configure any additional swap partitions (but then,
when I installed Linux, I gave it my entire 60Gb hard disk to use, so maybe that
averted the problem).

I'm going to do it all again next week, from scratch, documenting it with copious screenshots, because it really wasn't that hard in the end, and wading
through the Oracle Documentation makes it look much worse than it actually is.
Until we are all Linux experts, I think there's a need for idiots guides!

Anyway: thanks again for the post. Take care. HJR "Samuel H Roseman" <calliesam_at_ev1.net> wrote in message news:3B9306CE.624BE9D3_at_ev1.net...
> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Being a simple-minded Windows user, I'm having great O/S difficulty
trying
> > to follow the Oracle guide to installing 9i on Linux.
> >
> > Basically, I fall at the first hurdle: "Steps to Perform as the Root
User -
> > Create Mount Points". And then it goes downhill thereafter.
> >
> > I know the basic mount command, but if I try "mount /u01
/some_directory",
> > it doesn't work, so the subtleties of its syntax must be escaping me.
Any
> > suggestions for how to get this working, and what my mount point should
> > actually reference?
> >
> > There's also the slight problem of creating the Oracle User... first, it
> > appears to exist already, right after a fresh SuSe 7.1 installation,
which
> > surprised me somewhat... but if I delete that, then use useradd -g
dba -p
> > password oracle, I can't log in as "oracle". Again, am I missing
something
> > (well, clearly I am, but you know what I mean).
> >
> > Any help from someone who's pulled this installation off would be
enormously
> > appreciated. And whilst I can muddle my way around Linux, "muddle" is
the
> > operative word, so think "Windows User" when posting any advice.
> >
> > If all else fails, I shall be lugging my PC back into the office on
Tuesday,