Re: 8.1.6 on windows 2000, no odbc?

From: Ed Stevens <Ed_Stevens_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 13:19:50 GMT

Comment embedded . . .

On 21 Aug 2001 20:20:08 -0500, Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, al_at_genetics.utah.edu wrote:
>
>> Galen Boyer wrote:

>>> Can remote machines connect with sqlplus?
>>
>> yes

>>> Have you at least created an odbc data source on the client?
>>
>> yes, and the odbc client can reach another oracle database
>> running on linux.
>
>Hm... Did you do an oracle odbc test for this server? Does it
>also error out?
>
>I wonder if the datasource name for the odbc is correct. It
>needs to mirror the tnsnames.ora entry.

This is incorrect. The data source name is simply an alias used between the ODBC driver and the calling application. When configuring a data source name using the Oracle ODBC driver, the field called "server" is where you specify the name referenced in the TNSNAMES file. Similar mapping of Data Source Name to target database connection information holds true for all ODBC drivers and all target databases.

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)