Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Tom Bauch <tbauch_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:11:13 -0500

Hi, Robert. One of our strengths (as Blair has pointed out) is that our source-tree is pretty much identical
for all the platforms we run on. This essentially makes the decision criteria for DB2, on such platforms as Solaris
or HP/UX, identical, with the exception of operating specific issues. For example, Solaris uses intimate shared
memory and lightweight semaphores, both of which DB2 will utilize. In general, though, pretty much everything
that end-users or DBA's see (with the exception of installation, which is slightly diferent by platform) is the same across all UNIX/WIN/OS2/LINUX versions.

We like to think that makes the hardware decision seperate from the software decision. As there are no significant
differences in the DB2 functionality/capabilities across those platforms (DB2/390 and AS/400 are exceptions), you can choose the hardware you like, and DB2 will have the same features/functions/support on any and all of them. (OK, so I'm prejudiced, can you tell?)

TomB