Re: Oracle Data Recovery

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 09:28:18 GMT

Tim Mason wrote:

> A customer have two web servers running Windows NT, Cold Fusion and
> Oracle 8.05. The systems drives are arranged with the first 2 drives
> in Raid 1 as C:, the last 3 drives are Raid 5 as D:.
>
> The Oracle database files reside on the D: Last week an NT admin
> crashed both system and had to rebuild the systems C:, this also wiped
> out the installation of Oracle. We have been unable to access the ORA
> files. We originally attempted to create a table space and point it
> at an existing ORA file. This action appeared to clear the ora file
> and was stopped before it deleted all the data. Is there a way to
> recover the data from these ORA files? If there is can anyone give me
> any pointers as to how to do this.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Mason

Tim,

You were fine up to the point in which you used the command:

CREATE TABLESPACE <tablespace_name> DATAFILE <file_name> REUSE;

as you could have mounted the database after re-installing the oracle binaries, created a service, etc.

At this point - you're hosed. The headers in the datafile are gone.

Do you have *any* backups of the data files?

Oracle Worldwide Support is your best bet - the data unloader tool may be able to salvage some data.
It starts at around $10,000 for a tech to show up with the tool.

As far as the remaining datafiles, you may still be able to mount them. So you still have the SYSTEM tablespace's datafile?

Backup everything that you do have before doing anything else.

I wish you luck,

Paul Received on Sat Aug 18 2001 - 04:28:18 CDT