Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Darcy <benoit_at_no.spam.please>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:47:32 -0400

On 13 Aug 2001, Dusan Bolek wrote:

> Who cares about Linux ? Database business is not a field for toy-OS
> like Linux is. Maybe Linux is really cool, stable, has a lot of
> features. However question is: Who give me a support for it ?

Actually, I care very much about Linux. While working with a small start-up company, the ability to use Linux as our servers saves us a fair bit of money (not to mention time and headaches that we would have had if we were to use Windows products). Since both Oracle and DB2 should run *mostly* the same on different platforms, the company I was with decided to install both DB2, and Oracle on Linux. Our software is supposed to work with both.

This is the state the company was in when I started: They had tried on-and-off for about 3 weeks to get Oracle working - they couldn't do it. I worked for about 4 hours and had DB2 up and running. It took me another 2 weeks to get Oracle working.

then we switched up to RedHat 7.0.

DB2 installed again in all of about 25 minutes. Oracle wouldn't work at all.

We bought DB2.

> are available and no strong background in commercial company. Linux is
> maybe the best platform for Internet servers (like proxy, mail, web),
> but for database applications commercial UNIXs are more suitable.

I don't see why I should have to buy a SUN server to run my database behind my Linux-based web server. Makes no sense to me.

> P.S. Just my humble opinion. No intentions to start flame wars. :-)

I agree. :) Hey, if you have the money, then commercial servers and high-priced software is not a problem at all. If I were running a multi-million dollar operation, I wouldn't be looking at Linux either.

I, personally, have found DB2 easier to install on just about any machine that I have used. I have had DB2 on NT, ME, RedHat 7.0, Redhat 6.1 and my Palm III. I don't think that I would be that lucky in getting Oracle on any/all of these.

darcy Received on Mon Aug 13 2001 - 10:47:32 CDT